Wednesday 18 May 2016

CHS Students win Diabetes Queensland Scholarships

Congratulation to two of our College of Healthcare Sciences students, who have been awarded Diabetes Queensland scholarships to help health professionals care for people with diabetes.

Samantha Conroy and Robyn Keating, both nurses, are studying for graduate certificates in diabetes education. The scholarships will pay for one subject each in their studies.

Ms Conroy (pictured) said her clinic in Cairns was currently treating about 200 people a day, with almost half having diabetes.

“Effective diabetes care and knowledge of diabetes prevention needs to be provided to slow down the current epidemic,” Ms Conroy said.

“After I’ve completed my graduate certificate, I’d love to work part-time as a diabetes educator and part-time in casualty so I can help my patients with the latest information about diabetes treatment and management, and help people to prevent the condition.”

Mrs Keating, also from Cairns, said having formal diabetes qualifications would help current patients who often don’t have easy access to the city.

“One of the most difficult issues that I face now is fully supporting a person newly diagnosed with diabetes.”

“Once I’ve finished my studies, I would like to be able to offer special education sessions for newly diagnosed diabetics, and work towards offering a High Risk Foot Clinic to the south side of Cairns.”

Reproduced from @JCU News at https://www.jcu.edu.au/@jcu/source/three-jcu-students-win-diabetes-queensland-scholarships




No comments:

Post a Comment